Sunday, July 7, 2013

What I couldn't do then, that I can do now.

Hello all.  It's been a while so I should share an update.  I am now 8 months post op and down 113 lbs, off all 19 of my medications, and feeling amazing.  I have experienced a lot of things in the last few months that have been a long time coming.  Things that are taken for granted for the average size and things that I missed out on for many years.

I would have to say my biggest accomplishment was going to a water park and riding all the rides with my kids...AND, I fit in a tube comfortably!  It was so amazing that I didn't want to get out of the tube!  I could have basked for hours...but the rides kept coming to an end.  :( Such is life.

Another experience I have gone through...shopping in a average size clothing store.  I am no longer in plus size clothes and ventured to the mall to try on some clothes.  I look at a piece of clothing, at the tag (size), back at the clothing, back at the tag, and then try it on...it's too big...I look at the clothing, at the tag, at the clothing...you get it!  It is amazing to me, and I am often in disbelief that the size on the tag is real.  Never mind that the size that actually fits me is real!  In some sense, I still see the same person in the mirror that I did 8 months ago, so to think that these smaller clothes are going to fit...I'm in disbelief more often than not.

With the exception of the planar fasiitis in one of my feet constantly flaring up, I have so much more energy and get very excited about doing anything that involves activity.  My kids are doing more, I'm doing more with the kids, and we are all happier and more involved in life.  I still have a few things to do to check off my list in the coming months/years/decades/etc.:  skydiving, bungee jumping, ride the roller coasters again, wear my high school prom dress (size 8) to my 20 year reunion, hiking, canoeing, own and ride 4 wheeler's again, and take vacations with no limitations to what excursions I do.  That's just the few I can think of off hand.  :)

I have had lots of people come to me and ask questions about my surgery, progress, and success.  I welcome it and am honored to be an inspiration.  If you or anyone you know is thinking about weight loss surgery feel free to contact me.  There are many people who are not encouraging of these procedures, however, they aren't the ones dealing with the issues in most cases.  Yes, there are risks with the surgery, but what are the risks of being obese for the rest of your life?  Yes, there are things you have to change when have WLS, but what kind of changes have you had to make as you get bigger?  Yes, extreme weight loss can lead to saggy skin, but what's hanging now?  (Haha, don't answer that!)  The fact is that yes, with anything there are risks, there could be complications, and there could be things you don't like.  What are the risks of your current weight and your current diseases compared to the surgery?  What are the chances of complications and what are they compared to the ones your dealing with now?  What kind of changes will you make for the better compared to the ones your making now?  What can you do to prevent these complications and risks compared to what your doing to prevent the ones you have now?

I can't count on two hands how many times I've gone to a doctor and was told I could eliminate a symptom or disease if I lost weight.  I didn't want to hear it anymore, I didn't believe it, I thought they all were out to get the fat girl, because they'd never seen an inch of fat in their lives!  Turns out, they knew what they were talking about after all!  Even the diseases I had that aren't necessarily exacerbated by obesity are controlled and/or cured now.  Even at 273 lbs my cholesterol was great and I would say, "well, I'm healthy, I really don't eat that much, I'm obviously eating right."  All of those things were a crutch.  There comes a time in life when we all have to take away the crutch and walk on our own two feet.  I'd never know how great life could be had I not threw out the crutch and stood on my own two feet.

Until next time...

Be blessed,
Sleeve Sister

P.S.  There will be a "crutch" drive coming to your area soon.  You can donate your crutch for a new leash on life!  :)

1 comment:

  1. Great progress! Just found your blog today. My parents live in San Angelo! I lived there for a few years as well in college.

    Shopping for clothes post op is a surreal moment for sure!

    ReplyDelete